Hello friends! It’s time for my very first tutorial – how to create a seamless pattern. I was looking through Pinterest for free graphics for my printables. Normally, I’d check on watercolor flowers. (You can really tell that from my free calendars and planners!) One day, I was magically drawn to a pretty seamless pattern. I was reminded of the symmetry activities we used to do when I was a teacher.
I browsed all the tutorials I could find to learns some tips and tricks. However, I am always on the go and I can’t bring a laptop with me. I only have my handy iPad with me all the time, so I figured a way to create a seamless pattern while waiting for a client, or having coffee with my friends.
I have been using the Canva app to create my blog graphics. This is what I also use to create a seamless pattern, and it’s so easy! You can also use Canva on your computer and the steps will be the same.
Creating a symmetrical pattern
The easiest way to create a seamless pattern is to create a symmetrical unit that will be repeated throughout the pattern.
1. Choose the template for Instagram to create a square space. Then, upload an image that you want to repeat throughout your design. For this tutorial, we’re going to use this pretty flower.
2. Move the flower to the left until you see dashed lines inside. These lines tell you that half of the image is cut off.
3. Copy the flower.
4. Move the second flower to the right until half is cut away. Make sure that both flowers are aligned to create a symmetrical image.
5. You may do the same steps, this time using the top and bottom edges of the square. This creates a symmetrical unit like the one below.
Start creating a beautiful seamless pattern!
1. Download the unit that you created.
2. Open a new file on Canva and upload the square unit.
3. Adjust the size and start copying and connecting several units to create a beautiful pattern! Make sure each unit is aligned with the rest.
4. Download and use as a pretty background for your projects!
That’s how’s you create a simple but beautiful seamless pattern. You can play with different images, positions, colors and sizes. You can even add a background color. You’ll be surprised by how many different pretty patterns you can create with a single image. Imagine, what 2 or more images can do!
Take it further!
Isn’t this so easy? And you can do this on the Canva app on your iPad, laptop or desktop.
If you want to do more, go ahead and click away to my next post! With a few additional steps and a little creativity, you’ll easily create an asymmetrical seamless pattern for your pretty projects. Try it and have more fun creating pretty things with patterns.
Download this pretty pink and white digital paper!
Do you like this simple floral pattern? You can download it, along with other freebies here! Sign up and I’ll send a link to your email with a password so you can access all exclusives freebies.
See you in my next tutorial!